Aside from the fact that Thailand is the ultimate retirement haven for US pensioners, the country likewise provides the Thailand O-A visa, also known as the Thailand retirement visa. It readily compliments the country’s tourist economy. Also, it is one of the few retirement visas available to US expats in Asia.
US retirees that are at least 50 years old are eligible for this visa. Upon the approval of their applications, they may stay in Thailand for a year. In the event where they plan to leave the country, all they have to do is obtain a re-entry permit since this is a multiple-entry visa. The failure to acquire the re-entry permit automatically invalidates the visa.
Moreover, once they are in Thailand, they are required to report to immigration police every 90 days. As the term retirement implies, its holders are, of course, prohibited from engaging in activities that can be interpreted as a form of employment.
US pensioners must meet conditions before they can apply for this visa. These are:
- At least 50 years old
- Clean criminal record
- Is free from contagious diseases
- A legitimate citizen of the United States
- Satisfies the requirements of Immigration Act B.E 2522
Once the above-mentioned conditions are satisfied, US applicants must submit 3 sets of several documents. Always provide the original and 2 duplicate copies.
- A passport valid for at least 18 months
- Accomplished visa application
- Accomplished additional application
- Medical certificate valid for not more than 3 months
- 3 passport pictures (2 x 2) taken within the last 6 months
Duplicate copy of bank statements confirming that the THB 800,000 deposit has been made. Or US pensioners must prove that they receive a monthly pension of THB 65,000. The combination of the monthly income and bank deposit amounting to THB 800,000 is likewise accepted.
- In case the applicant is presenting a bank statement, include the original of the guarantee letter issued by the bank
- Verification letter confirming the clean criminal record of the applicant
Retiring in Thailand is a meaningful experience. But obtaining the visa could be quite difficult. Thus, applicants are advised to seek the services of immigration lawyers to expedite the whole process.